March 18 Update
March 18 Update
Our preparation for a possible pandemic began weeks ago when the Center of Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) asked that schools create Pandemic Response Plans. Utilizing resources gathered from many sources, we developed a comprehensive plan that included strategies for mitigating the spread of illness including:
- Maintaining regular contact with the Berrien County Health Department (BCHD) and gathering the best information from established experts,
- Educating our students, staff, and families about the illness and preventative measures,
- Utilizing maintenance standards designed specifically to prevent and control the spread of virus,
- Creating protocols for making decisions about the closure of schools,
- Developing Remote Learning Opportunities in the event that schools closed,
- Providing food for the students in our community
- Maintaining regular communication with our staff and community.
This preparation put us in a good position on Thursday, March 12, 2020 when the Governor announced that schools across the State of Michigan would be closed for an extended period of time. For example, we had already established regular communication with the Berrien County Health Department for guidance. Specific maintenance standards were established and carried out. Communication about COVID-19 and our plans to mitigate its spread were ongoing. Our teaching staff was already in the process of developing home learning opportunities. Finally, a plan was developed for the distribution of breakfast and lunch for the students in the community.
Please click on the link below to read a full update.
March 18 Update (link)